Thursday, April 08, 2010

Hello.Goodbye.

Hello from Miami International Airport. First of I must start by thanking everyone who has supported me finically. I’ve cover the vast majority of my expenses thanks to you. I also have to send some love to James Tyler, Pono, and the good people at La Sierra who came out to 4th Down on Wednesday night (even though there was an Ochem quiz the next morning, which I’m sure you didn’t fail). I don’t believe in perfection, but I did, that night would have been pretty close. Special thanks to Aarika, Carlos, Garret, Gatra, Kendall, Peter, and Victor, for your time and hard work. It was meaningful, powerful worship and wouldn’t have been the same without you. And to everyone else who has helped me get to this point (through friendship, conversations, prayers, and general support) thanks!
So Haiti. I’m sure most of you know but I’m done with school at La Sierra University and I’m headed to Loma Linda for an A.S. degree in Medical Radiography in the fall. That left me with six months of no school. My parents have demanded that I stay busy and productive for at least 8 hours a day, either work for pay or do volunteer work. I thought about places I could work, ranging from something local at LLU to missions to working as a worship leader in a church on the other side of the country. Then the earthquake in Haiti presented an opportunity. I have the time to dedicate and become a volunteer. It seemed like a good fit. My deal with God was, "If this is possible, I'm going for it, so if I'm not supposed to go, close the doors." The process was slow at first but over the past month everything began falling into place.
I’ve made arrangements with the Global Health Institute at Loma Linda University and I ’ll be working at the Hopital Adventiste d’Haiti doing whatever work I can. One of the things big things I’ll be taking care of is arranging transportation and accommodations for foreign volunteers. Kind of important, kind of stressful, but I’m up for it. I’ll try to get into so clinics and get experience as an x-ray tech. Hopefully I’ll be able to get off the hospital compound and do some work offsite as well. If you want to learn more and/or donate to the Hospital you can do so here http://www.llu.edu/news/haiti/index.page.
So here I am; tickets bought, head shaved, goodbyes said, bags packed, chillin’ in the Miami Airport, ready for whatever God has in store. Thank you for your prayers and support!

No comments:

Post a Comment