Friday, April 09, 2010

Day 0

You know how you can remember a place by the smell? I won’t forget the smell that hit me as I walked off the plane this morning. But first things first: I’m here, I’m safe. Thank God! I didn’t do too much today, got settled, help set up a few cots (I worked up quite a sweat thanks to the humidity), and slept, but we had a group meeting and after worship tomorrow I’ll be getting to know the place a little bit.
The flights weren’t bad at all. I slept most of the time on both. This is actually the first time I’ve been traveling alone on an airplane so I got to know the people sitting with me a little. But I mostly slept.
I wish I remembered more of the ride to the hospital. It was hot, I was tired, and I had been wearing contacts for almost a day so I slept/had my eyes closed for the majority of the ride. Things that stood out were the plethora of refugee tents, the lines for food, colorful trucks, and presence of the UN.
The volunteers are from all over: 4 countries, 6 states. I’ve met a few: good people. I guess people who decide to take time out of their lives to come to a 3rd world country that went through a catastrophic disaster tend to be. It’ll be interesting getting to know them all as they come and go weekly.
*So much for not going on Facebook all trip. The internet here is pretty solid. Hopefully I’ll be too busy to be on too much.
So far living conditions are pretty sweet. Most of the volunteers are up here on the terrace. I’ve got a cot with a mattress (we’ll see how that goes. Luggage is stashed under my bed, guitar is to the left. Bathrooms are just down the hall. Having hair this short is really helpful because of one, the heat/humidity and two showers. Showers are limited but not incredibly cold which is a plus.
On the downside, I’m missing a bag. I have everything essential, but my long term toiletries, sleeping bag, and food are missing. Hopefully I can get it by Sunday when the Loma Linda “big guns” get here.
Worship is at 7:30 tomorrow so wake up is at seven (for all you back home, I’m only two hours ahead of you). I think I’m going to try to get to bed by 11 every night so this is goodnight.
Happy Sabbath!

No comments:

Post a Comment