Saturday, April 10, 2010

Day 1

Quiero halbar español!!! Unfortunately Haitians don’t generally speak it.
I slept okay for it being my first night here. I woke up multiple times but that’s okay. It was restful. Got out of bed at 7 as planned, ate a bar, washed up and went to church. Pretty much all the volunteers were at the English service. It was a pretty typical thing: songs (acapella), scripture, offering, special music, message. Alex (I have yet to learn his last name), had us do the ACTS prayer (adoration, confession, thanks, supplication). It was definitely a good way to start my time here.
After church the focus was on supplies. I changed out empty water jugs and oxygen tanks while picking up some Creole by interacting with some kids. I spent the rest of the morning and early afternoon in the central supply room trying to sort the various medical supplies that have been donated.
We’ve also had multiple power outages today (like the one just now ). All part of the Haiti experience.
Later in the afternoon a group of us went up to the university where the ADRA refugee camp is located. Crazy! So many tents, so many people, so much destruction. The highlight of course was the kids. They literally jumped on/clung to me. I felt bad for not being able to say anything other than “Bonswa!” yet. The kids used their broken English and just shook their heads at me when I can’t further interact with them. I kept wanting to speak Spanish. GRRR! Gimme a break though, it’s really my 1st day.
All throughout the day I got to know many of the people here (both Hatian and American). Now if I could only remember their names! Volunteers are still coming. It’s gonna get a lot more crowded and busy. Today was a down day because of Sabbath, tomorrow, LLU “big guns” come along with a new challenging day.
Peace!

1 comment:

  1. I am thankful that you made it there safely......
    I am proud of you and of your decisions, may God be with you and in everything that you do

    You make me proud

    ReplyDelete