Monday, April 19, 2010

Big week ahead

It is Monday night. Probably the latest I’ve been up. We went to dinner tonight (That you Osh!) and when we got back I talked to Alex about my future responsibilities. By the end of this week I will be in charge of supplies/storage for the hospital. And I’ll be helping coordinate transportation to and from the airport. In the next few days I’m gonna be taking in as much information as I can, trying to figure out how to manage everything. PRAYERS PLEASE!
I’ve pretty much adjusted to living here. It’s still an adventure every day. I’m still meeting new people every day and my Creole is improving too.
Some of you have heard this before but here it goes again.
Yesterday (Sunday) after work I was talking to one of the translators. He's 19, still in high school. We were talking about praise music; I taught him the melody to the special music I played on Sabbath. The conversation progressed and we talked about the earthquake. He was at school when it hit. He felt the building shake, looked up at the ceiling, and ran. He made it out unscathed, but many of his closest friends didn’t make it out. School just started again last week (in tents) so it's been difficult for him going back to school without his classmates... That hit me hard. This kid is my age and he lost the people who he spent a lot his time with. I thought back to everyone that I don't get to see all the time now and so many "what ifs" went through my head...sent shivers down my spine.
Hope your Mondays went well!
(pictures…are coming :P soon)

2 comments:

  1. Hey there David! So it looks like you'll be picking up where I left off in Haiti, mainly supply and transportation. Let me know if you have any questions jlio@llu.edu
    And say hi to Jonathan the translator for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. and also to Imab, Herold, and Vladimir!
    and Alex Coutsoumpos and Jenn Jung!

    ReplyDelete