Sunday, July 25, 2010

Weekend Update

I have less than five weeks left in Haiti...its crazy to think that when August 27 rolls around 1.8% of my life will have been spent here. This last weekend was chill...ish.

Things got off to a poor start Friday night. Quick background: If you remember my first week in Haiti I dropped something heavy on my left big toe. Since then, the nail has fallen off and it's been healing nicely. Also, you might recall that I semi-retired my black OP flip-flops, meaning I don't wear them daily anymore, but I pull them out every once in a while. Friday evening was one such occasion. I was out on the roof talking on the phone, planning the worship service when I slipped. This wouldn't have been a problem if I had been wearing close toed shoes. It probably would have been less of a problem if the nail on my toe had completely grown back. But alas, this was not the case, so when I slipped and my foot dragged across the ground a layer of skin where my nail should have been was torn off. OUCH! Luckily we're at a hospital and got it cleaned and dressed. I'm back to wearing flip-flops for awhile and walking is a little awkward, but it's all good.

Some good did come from all this. Sabbath morning a group from ACTS showed up to help out with the church service and see the hospital. With them was Ileah Schmul. Like me, she's a college student helping out in Haiti during summer break. Also like me, on Friday her feet had an unfortunate accident with the ground while wearing flip-flops. Her RIGHT big toe was bandaged exactly like mine! It was quite a surprise so we had to scramble to get the worship service in order, then arrange to take 30 people around the hospital. Never a dull Sabbath at HAH.

This morning's meeting probably had the lowest attendance in HAH history. The 25-person UFGH group had left, Luke is still with friends, Brooke was across town, and the "Mama Kimball" group had not yet arrived. So Nathan, Amy, Kenny, Jessica, Dr. Wilkerson, and I gathered on the front steps. We proceeded to have the slowest Sunday ever. I sent Aimab and Herold home after lunch and slept for most of the afternoon.

Today's shout outs go to two very special young men. To all the single ladies, I'm pleased to inform you that Donald Dominic Dawkins is officially legal today. If you're interested, you better get on that quick, cuz he's headed off to MIT in a month. Also on this day 16 years ago, three-year-old me was sleeping in the Dawkins' living room and was shaken awake early in the morning to receive the news that I had a little brother. Ladies, he's still a child so BACK OFF!!!! Hahaha. For the first time in their lives, I won't be celebrating with them. So in that respect this is the saddest July 25 since '98 when both Jordan and I were sick. Love you guys and wish I was there (sad face).

So if you take anything away from this post, say happy birthday to my brother from another mother and my brother from...my mother AND be thankful for your toes.

PEACE

No comments:

Post a Comment