Sunday, July 18, 2010

People my age...ish

Right off the bat I gotta say that last week was by far the best as far as talking to people back home. I think I had meaningful conversations over Facebook, Skype, BlackBerry, Google Talk, and email with at least 10 people. Thanks to my homies at home!

Also over the past few weeks it's been awesome having volunteers who are closer to my age. I mentioned the OT group from LLU and that Luke returned, but Hollie, Heidi, and Didi have yet to be acknowledged. It was great hangin' with you guys, even after all those long days you had in
the OR.

Kenny is going to Med school at UCSF in the Fall, but he's spending a good chunk of his summer here like me. Unlike me he's been to Haiti seven times before the earthquake and this is his second trip post earthquake. He's spent most of his time on the central plateau in thew town of Hench, but he's here for a few weeks experiencing Port-au-Prince. Like me, he's doing a lot of logistics stuff.

Another group of "peers" arrived. A SIMS group composed of Pharm Student Mike, Med Student Kevin, Public Health Students Julie, Sonya, and Sara, and Dr. Bennet. Such an eclectic group, why would such an eclectic team come to HAH? SUPPLIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Over the past nine days they (along with Amy and Kenny) have done some AMAZING work! The items stored in the HIV clinic (I finally saw the breast implants!), basement storage, and Room 3 in central supply (the one to the left with all the meds and IV fluids for those of you that know) were emptied and sorted. The external storage buildings and church-for-a-day tents were reorganized. And most impressive of all for the last 4 days the ramp is clear!!!!!!!!!!!! For those of you who haven't been to the hospital, the gravity of this statement. The ramp has been the bane of my existence. It is constantly filled with supplies, things are periodically taken away, only to have more boxes take their place. Needless to say clearing the ramp is no small feat. As they'll be leaving tomorrow, I'd like to extend my gratitude to the SIMS group. I'll miss them...

Finally, last Friday, the Beck-Davies-Harris-Lindsey family became the Beck-Davies-Harris-Lindsey-Scott family. Ladies and Gentlemen, Jessica Scott has arrived. She's a trauma nurse who will be here for six months! She also sings really well, as witnessed my everyone who attended the English worship service this past Sabbath. You can follow her blog here http://jezkascott.blogspot.com/ .

Tomorrow's gonna be a big day. Emilie Clotaire, the Haitian Hospital Administrator returned tonight from a four week vacation. Dr. Elie Honore, the Health Ministries Director of the Inter-American Division of the SDA church is accompanying her. Big meetings, big changes? Eh, this stuff waaaaaay over my head.

Shout out to my friend and YouTube sensation Victor Dean Tanglao. www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZ7EniazaVY Watch and enjoy!

PEACE

2 comments:

  1. WOW, the ramp is cleared. What amazing progress at Hopital Adventiste! As I see posted photos the lookout has been, how is the ramp doing. Hope to see the result of many, many, many weeks of labor! Enjoy the last few weeks you have in Carrefour.

    ReplyDelete
  2. David-- great job clearing the RAMP! as you said, it is no small feat. That's great! Definitely a sign of lots of hard work and teamwork. Congrats.

    ReplyDelete