Saturday, July 31, 2010

"Fun" in the Sun

It's three and a half months into my stay in Haiti, and I really haven't done anything "fun". Multiple groups have gone on tours and the beach on Sabbaths, but I've stayed at the hospital to sleep and chill. However this week multiple translators were bugging me about going to the beach, having some fun because I work so hard, seeing another part of Haiti, and since I only had four weekends left in Haiti, I agreed to come. So...today after church (and an hour and a half of waiting for the bus to arrive) Jessica, the "Mama-Kimball" team, some of the translators, and other Haitians from the hospital set off for the beach.

One thing I've learned is when you don't have expectations, you can't be disappointed. When I think beach, I think, chilling in the sun, swimming, eating, playing football, and volleyball etc. I figured this beach trip wouldn't be all that, but I was still hoping to have a chill time. Those hopes were dashed when I realized that "chill" wasn't what the trip was about.

Without going into details (that would embarrass some, and disturb others) it was an extremely disappointing experience. Spending hours in a hot cramped bus to go watch drunk people dance and get beer sprayed all over me isn't my idea of fun, or good Sabbath afternoon activities for that matter. It wasn't all bad, being submerged in water for the first time since June was fun, and eventually I did get to slip away for a while, just lay out, talk, and chill in the sun.

Hopefully your Sabbath was much more restful.

PEACE

No comments:

Post a Comment