Tuesday, July 13, 2010

I'm a skeptic no more

So you know how when sports teams win championships and/or important games they get t-shirts and the t-shirts made for the losing team are allegedly sent to developing countries. I've always been a skeptic, but that changed today when I saw a kid walking around wearing a "NBA Western Conference Champions 2000". As I'm SURE you all remember Game 7 of the 2000 Western Conference Finals featured the L.A. Lakers and Portland Trailblazers. And on that day in May at the Staples Center, the world witnessed the Blazers suffer one of the biggest 4th quarter meltdowns in NBA history, capped off by a Kobe to Shaq alley-oop, all resulting in a Lakers trip to the NBA Finals where they beat the Indiana Pacers (in Reggie Miller's only NBA finals appearance) in six games, and launching the Shaq/Kobe Laker three-peat. So imagine my surprise when the kid's shirt was black and red with a Blazers logo! I am now a believer.

On a more serious note, over the past couple of days I've had some conversations with some pretty awesome people. People who have done AMAZING things during their lifetimes. This triggered an internal argument with myself.
DRH A: I wish I could be like them and do those amazing things. I'm jealous, envious, and disappointed in myself.
DRH B: Hold on, I'm only 19, I still have time to do all that stuff. And they had more education than me, other experiences and opportunities I didn't have.
DRH A: Stop rationalizing and making excuses!
DRH B: But they're legit reasons.
DRH A: Sure they're legit, but the facts speak for themselves, I haven't...
DRH C: Hold it right there. I've done some pretty cool stuff, but cool doesn't matter, I shouldn't be comparing myself to other people anyway, God works through them as He sees fit, and He'll do the same through me. Capiche?
DRH A: Yeah yeah.
DRH B: I guess.
DRH C: FTW!!!!! [fist pump]

Hope you enjoyed the peak into my brain.

Shout out to everyone studying for the MCAT. You can do it guys!

PEACE

No comments:

Post a Comment