Friday, May 21, 2010

Today was a good day

Even though I woke up at 1am and couldn’t sleep for hours; I got to watch some of my good friends take my title of LSU Talent Show winner http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnnB4gXjc9w [congrats Alix, Aubrey, Cindy, and Fern, that was fan-freakin-awesome], was inspired to watch OK GO videos, saw pictures of myself from 15 years ago, and talked to some friends who were up late too.

And even though I spent majority of the morning being frustrated at cultural differences, trying to find tech support for HP scanners in Haiti, while the internet was down, and contemplating the value of my work here; we received four brand new donated wound vacs [it was like Christmas], I discovered that popping bubble wrap is an international phenomenon, and received a care package with hand written encouraging notes from many of the staff at Redlands Adventist Academy.
*reason #53 to send your kid to RAA: The faculty and staff are Godly people who genuinely care about the students and continue to care after graduation.

And even though I spent a good chunk of my afternoon standing out in the sun watching an inefficient distribution of personal hygine products [just don’t ask], I got to meet cool new people, was reminded to appreciate the differences in the way things are done, and not to sweat the small stuff.

And even though its pouring rain and the thunder is deafening…well I’m not complaining about that, cuz that’s just cool [unless someone gets hit by lightning, the rain causes houses to collapse, etc.]; it’s Sabbath, I made it through another week in Haiti (six down), my friends and family at home are safe and have made me smile and laugh multiple times in the last 18 hours, the internet is still working, I'm about to go play my guitar, I got to eat today, I’m healthy….[I’m too incredibly blessed to keep going].

Happy Sabbath!

[I also uploaded pics to Facebook. You're welcome]

2 comments:

  1. Hey David! I have enjoyed reading your blog and wish that I'd talked to you more while I was there...because you're hilarious. I'm praying for you all and hope to return soon if I can! Hope that all is well. Enjoy the mangoes =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. David!!! My supply guru friend! I just found your blog and want to thank you for it. It sounds as if you are doing well. I want to thank you for all the help you were to Kristy and I when we were there, you made our jobs MUCH easier. And I think I have a picture of you finding supplies for me somewhere....
    Take care David, be safe.

    ReplyDelete