Thursday, August 26, 2010

Final Countdown

[cues epic music] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jK-NcRmVcw

Twenty weeks ago I was sitting in the Miami airport fighting boredom, fatigue, and a little fear. Now I'm sitting in the administrator's office counting down the hours till my return to the land of excess and opportunity.

And now the final "day in the life" of David in Haiti
  • I woke up and made oatmeal, went to the morning meeting.
  • After the worship thought both Nathan and Dr. Nelson thanked me publicly for my service, not gonna lie, that kind of thing embarrasses me.
  • Hung out with Junior in central supply for an hour while Herold and Aimab did their distribution.
  • Met with Nathan to debrief and determine what was going to happen after my departure.
  • Went on my last supply run and brought back two pallets of stuff (2/3's of which we don't really need...ay).
  • The kids helped unload the truck.
  • After eating my final lunch at HAH, I went and sorted the supplies and ended up having to put somethings in the ramp. (Kinda sucks that after a month of having the ramp clear, I had to put things there on my last day...sad face)
  • Met with Herold, Aimab, and Jonathan to say good bye.
  • Showered and put on a button down for my "surprise" good-bye party. One of the more awkward moments of my life. A) I'm not used to being the honored guest. B) No one has ever called me a "rare product". C) If you were there, you would know.
  • Started to pack...
  • Hung out with Nathan in the office.
  • Had a great time at dinner in Petionville with Dr. Nelson, Brooke, and Jessica. Nicest place I've been in a looooooooong time. I guess it was a little preview of privileged life before I'm immersed in less than 24 hours. It was really nice to just hang out, away from the hospital, and just enjoy the company of awesome people.
  • Packed some more and wrote this blog.
I'll finish packing tonight, get a few hours of sleep then it's off to the airport, then the DR, then Miami, then home. California here I come!

1 comment:

  1. you have to come back we are out of Normal Saline.

    ....I just caught up on your blog, didn't realize I was so far behind!!! I'm so sad it's over!! miss you already. HAPPY SABBATH!

    ReplyDelete